Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Cutting the Cord

So, we decided to cut cable.  We haven't pulled the plug yet because we're both disinterested in dealing with the FIOS customer service call, but it IS happening soon.  $80 a month can be spent so much better elsewhere... monthly mani/pedi or our third child's 529?  Either way, we decided on our family after-dinner walk tonight, that not just our money, but our time can be better spent... instead of watching the Office without Michael Scott (it's just not the same, he says) our minds and spirits would be better served reading good books, spending better quality time together and maybe advancing my knowledge and understanding of the blogosphere.  I think I'm using that term correctly.  I did in fact, google "blog lingo" in order to hone the use of acronyms people half my age are slinging around.  I'm still researching, but I did find an interesting factoid: the term "weblog" was coined in 1997 and "blog" in 1999.  So I was in college then... hmmm... where I obtained my first email address @muohio.edu, where not every one had a desktop computer let alone a laptop, where computer labs existed to torture students who didn't hit the save button, where I took notes in class with a pen and saved sound bytes and research papers on a floppy disk.  I talked with a college friend about this today and had to laugh: I sound like my parents!  "When I was your age, we had one phone line for the whole block...yadda yadda yadda..." but it's only been 15 years, not 50!

Man, it's crazy how fast technology and social media is moving, and I often feel left in the dust!  That's why I am so thankful to have a techie husband, whom I like to call "Nick Burns ( the company's computer guy!)"  If you don't know Nick Burns, check out SNL's the best of Jimmy Fallon.  Hilarious.  I would be lost without K and his IT background.  He keeps me up to speed on all the newest happenings in Cupertino, CA.  Yes, we're Apple fans.  Got our first PowerBook, iPod (2nd gen) and some accessories with all of our wedding money in 2004 before we headed off to Japan for three years.  We moved on to and iMac, then an bigger iMac, iPod Mini, iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPod Touch, MacBook Pro, Apple TV and finally an iPhone.  Just waiting on the right time to enlist the iPad's services.  Perhaps for our 8th anniversary, we'll invest ten months worth of cable into this new addition to our Apple family... I mean, come on, it's a perfect tool to help with our goals of reading more (Kindle app), better quality time together (Hello Vino and Bejewled) and I can take this lovely blog and all others that I'm following, any where I choose.  Done and done.

So, here I sit snuggled beneath my sweatshirt blanket with a bowl of popcorn and a glass of wine... determined to continue this new adventure in blogging.  Please be patient as I learn the lingo (feel free to send me an acronym dictionary link), navigate the toolbars (tips and hints are welcome), and figure out how to find my dashboard!  This SAHM is tired. 7am comes way too fast.  More about my life as a SAHM with three little ones soon.  G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment